Monday, July 22, 2013

I've gone astray!

By that I mean that I came out of my box AGAIN!  Sheesh, if this keeps happening, I'm going to have to introduce myself to me!  (don't know what that means, but it made sense while I was writing it)

Anyway, I took this fabulous class with Catherine Scanlon who, by the way, is also a fellow teacher with me at My Creative Classroom.  We do totally different things and I wanted to test my boundaries again and try Catherine's mixed media class.  Whoa!  There were some people there who didn't think I'd survive the entire ordeal (I'm dead serious!).  This is sort of a free art style and for me to not "connect- the-dots" was a struggle.  But after all was said and done, I was thrilled beyond belief at how my project turned out.  It now has the honor of hanging in my kitchen and I just love looking at it knowing that my little in-the-box hands created it.

Catherine had us do a "test" piece just to get the idea of how photo transfer is done.  Now I know you'll look at this and say "the writing is backwards!".  Well, that was not my fault -- Catherine had someone photocopy the transfers and they did it without taking the writing into consideration.  No problem -- it was only for our test piece.  I thought "hey, this isn't too bad -- I can do this!"  So here's my test piece...

We did this on Hot Press water color paper to make the transfer.  Then went on to all the other steps involved.   Okay, so far so good.

Then I got to the BIG project and my secure little world started to wobble.  At one point I had Kim on one side of me saying, just relax, let the colors flow, it'll work out.  Then I had Chris on the other side saying "it's gorgeous, just go with it!"

So here's my finished project -- I also gave you a side view for a better idea of how the entire piece looks.  I'm really happy how it turned out even though it caused me some serious angst.  Chris like mine so much that she asked if I'd "speckle" her project like mine (see the orange dots).  Thank goodness I didn't mess hers up!  



So dear readers, this is me totally out of my realm and box.  But Catherine created a monster -- I have been dabbling in similar projects like this since I brought this home.  It's a very fun and interesting process and it's making me relax more and more when I start to create  one.  Maybe down the line I'll share more of what I've done (without Catherine's supervision).

Ciao for now!

Ciao Bella! 







8 comments:

Julie Z said...

Love it Donna! What a beautiful artistic piece for wall art or anything you decide to use it for!

All totally worth the angst it caused you lol! (And I feel your pain...Don't even want to think what kind of angst not being able to connect the dots would cause me he he!)

Donna Maligno said...

Julie, you'd be able to do this with your eyes shut, you brat! LOL!

Shona Erlenborn said...

So where is the tutorial - oh creative one? You're just going to tease us with this work of art? Awesome job!

Anonymous said...

Oh they are just beautiful
I will have to step out and hopefully do as well as you
Thanks for sharing

Donna Ellis said...

Perhaps a monster, but a wonderfully talented little monster who is oh-so-sweet! WONDERFUL masterpieces, and truly beautiful artwork, DD. Thank you for sharing, and for finally releasing that artistic monster in all her fulness! hugs, de

Catherine said...

This turned out so great Donna -- so glad you came to class and dinner too! See you soon I hope!

Vicki said...

Beautiful canvas!

Anonymous said...

great post