Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Steampunk-ish??

Okay, you can have your laugh for the day over this one.  A friend introduced me to Steampunk about a month ago and it intrigued me to the point that I was willing to "take it on" and step out of my box.  So I gathered all my fun stuff and started creating this 12 block shadow box (felt more like a 12-step program if you get my drift).

I don't know, you'll have to be the judge.  I think I missed the Steampunk look by about 1/2 a mile.  I'm not sure.  BUT!, I did have fun doing it and this genre is definitely a work in progress and something you have to drop and come back to many times until it "feels" right, therefore, the month it took me to finish it.  It got to the point where I said -- I'll finish you if it kills me!  I don't think that was the right attitude for some reason.  But, it worked and it's done.

So what's the verdict?  Be honest -- this is so out of the box for me that they forgot to recall the Rescue Team back.


I found that it became a part of who I am and what I have experienced.  Not necessarily a bad thing, but it was very weird how it happened.  So let's break it down a bit.  First of all you know that I am a "die" junkie, so you'll see a bit of evidence to that in several blocks.  I love flowers - not planting them, but enjoying them (I don't do dirt) and I love butterflies.  You can see there's evidence of glitter - another of my loves.  I'm such a clock watcher as evidenced by the lower right block and I have a wonderful collection of real antique keys (these are replicas in the box).  I made reference to my wonderful group of stamping friends, The Queens of Inkland in the far left hand box.  I was encouraged to create a box with a teapot -- there's a long story that goes with that and I shall not put you thru it, but suffice it to say it has deep meaning for six people.  Another thing I'd like to point out are the upholstery tacks in all the corners -- that refers to my upholstering days when I tackled some really challenging projects in my home.  So those went into my "shadowbox life" as well.  There are several inspirational pieces like "Dream", "Create" and topped off on the handle with "Be Inspired".  These are things I have lived by since I was first introduced into the stamping world.  Sorry, I seem to be waxing introspectively.

Well, thanks for reading this post and I really encourage comments.  

Ciao for now!

Ciao Bella!

6 comments:

Kim said...

Way to go! I love the upholstery tacks, they are perfect! And I love how you made each block something that represents and appeals to YOU!

I think we should call this "Steamed Elegance!"

Shona Erlenborn said...

I think it's great Dee Dee - you should enter it in the Steam Punk version of Just Cards. I love how each little panel tells a little story about you.

Kathy's Place said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kathy's Place said...

I think the shadowbox is wonderful and very creative. It became a part of you as you worked on it and you should be very proud of what you created. Stay well..
Kathy Cain

starqueen said...

Hi Sunny,
Whether it's steampunk or something else...it's beautiful! I'm sure it'll be an inspiring addition to your craft room.
Thanks for sharing!

Donna Ellis said...

Oh my! How incredible, DD! Not steampunk - so sorry LOL - but the steampunk definitely inspired you out of your box! THIS IS GORGEOUS and reveals your heart, and the things you love. True remarkable, with wonderful colors, textures and elements. (see? you just cannot escape creating elegance, no matter what the technique!) ((( hugs, OO)))